Esquipulas Birding Tour
The Manuel Antonio National Park is considered one of the best sites for the eco-traveler, despite the amount of visitors it receives. It is always productive and yields a great amount and high quality of animal sightings. However, for birding in the Central Coast of Costa Rica, there are other sites just outside of the park that are much better and are seldom visited by the average traveler.
Esquipulas is a small country town located 35-45min East of Manuel Antonio, located in the foothills of the Central Pacific, at approx 380 meters above sea level and with an excellent number of endemic species found only in the Southeast of Costa Rica and Western Panama.
Esquipulas features a mixture of primary and secondary forest, house gardens and cattle pastures, making it home to a wide variety of birds including Tanagers, Trogons, Hummingbirds, Flycatchers, Manakins, and Toucans among many others. If you are bird watching in Manuel Antonio and do not want to drive too far to sites such as Carara National Park, then this is the perfect option.
The start time: 4:45am to 5:00am depending on the sunrise, and it ends between 9:30am to 10:00am as the day warms up. 304 bird species have been reported here during my 12 years birding this site. For a longer version of this tour, please see El Rey Rice fields and marshes. Please note that unlike a nature history walk into Manuel Antonio National Park, birding tours are of a very different nature. Although you do not have to be a bird expert to enjoy a birding trip, minimum bird knowledge and binocular skills are a must to enhance the experience. Each member MUST have their own binoculars, for these reasons birding tours are only offered to birders.
- Is this tour good for children? No, this is not an activity I recommend or offer to families with small children.
- How can we pay? Cash please, USA dollars or CR colones or combination.
- How do I reserve? Please send me an inquiry (see form below) provide the required information and your questions. No deposit required, you can pay after the tour is complete.
- How big are your groups? Birding tours are completely private, this is a very specialized service, mixing different birding skills in a group is not recommended.
- Large parties/family rates? Birding with large parties is not suggested, please inquire.
- We have no previous birding experience, is this a tour for us? Birding tours require minimum birding skills, each member MUST have their own binoculars. However, if you have binoculars and are willing to start early for a great experience I will be happy to cater a tour for beginners.
- If we have our own vehicle, can we meet you in Esquipulas? Yes, please let me know when you inquire so I can discount the non-needed transport. I will provide directions via e-mail.