Esquipulas is a small country town located 35-45min East of Manuel Antonio, nestled in the foothills of the Central Pacific, at approx. 380 meters above sea level and with an excellent number of endemic species found only in the Southeast of Costa Rica and Western Panama.
Bird watching Manuel Antonio/Esquipulas results in an interesting list of birds to be seen potentially due to the mixture of habitats that we will encounter, ranging from house gardens, forest edges, pastures and more.
This tour is designed by serious and real birders, who have vast experience birding in Costa Rica, we have crafted a real birding service to please the needs of highly experienced birders as well as those who are taking their first steps into the wonderful world of bird-watching.
* Tour length: From 4 to 4.5hrs. Longer versions available, please see El Rey Marsh for an extension of this trip.
* Start Time: 5:00am/5:15am depending on the season.
Naturally it cannot be guaranteed what you will see, but common bird group sightings include Tanagers, Trogons, Hummingbirds, Woodpeckers, Toucans, Flycatchers, Cotingas, Raptors and much more.
In short, this location is excellent to get most of the South Pacific endemic species and regional specialties that occur in CR. Are you looking for Fiery-Billed Aracari, Baird's Trogon, White-crested Coquette or maybe a Turquoise Cotinga?
This tour is offered as a completely private experience for your party. I do not mix groups of birdwatchers due to the different experience levels. Please notice this is not a tour I offer for children.
What to bring?
Binoculars, a bird-watchers essential tool.
Wear dry-fit-type clothing, long sleeves and long pants are best. Wear walking shoes or hiking sandals, hat/cap, bring plenty water, as well as any snack you wish for the morning as there is no where to buy food in Esquipulas.
Sun block and insect repellent are not a must, but bringing them just in case is never a bad idea.
During the tour, we use a Swarovski ATX 65mm Telescope, the industry's best optics for clients to look at the wildlife up close with such great detail, an added bonus is the possibility to digiscope, so please make sure to also bring your smartphone!
Unique hummingbirds such as White-tipped Sicklebill, White-crested Coquette or Trogons such as Baird´s Trogons may be seen during this tour
Esquipulas Birdwatching tour.
Country side bird-watching in Manuel Antonio.
- Is this tour good for children? This is not a service I offer to families with small children. Patience is often a must in any bird-watching activity, unless the child has been grown into birdwatching I would not suggest this tour and instead I would suggest to look at tours such as Manuel Antonio NP nature tour.
- Do we get a list of the birds seen? Absolutely! I will email a list or share the observations via eBird platform.
- How can we pay? Cash please, USA dollars or CR colones or combination.
- How do I reserve? Please send me an inquiry (see form below) provide the required information and your questions. No deposit required, you can pay after the tour is complete.
- Large parties rates? Please inquire below.
- We want to do a longer tour, is this possible? Yes, we can visit El Rey Marsh and other local spots to get you the highest number of birds possible.
- If we have our own vehicle, can we meet you at the Esquipulas? Yes, please let me know when you inquire so I can discount the non-needed transport. I can meet you on the road near Esquipulas. I will provide directions via e-mail.
- What gear do you provide? We use a Swarovski ATX 65mm Telescope, You have to bring your own binoculars. As a bird guide I am geared with a pointer and bird Audio when needed and ethically permitted (i.e. no playback to nestling or endangered species).
Birding tours are treated as private services. Esquipulas, unlike Manuel Antonio, is a very quiet place and visited by very few people.