Carara National park birding tour.
This is undoubtedly the best birding site in the central pacific of CR. Carara NP it's located about 1.5hrs away from Manuel Antonio, it's position in a transition zone where the tropical rain-forest meets the dry forest makes Carara the perfect home for both rain-forest and some dry-forest species, gathering different habitats such as primary and secondary rain forest, gallery forest, thickets, grasslands, rivers and others, simply a must visit to any birder coming to CR.
Scarlet Macaws, Antbirds, Tinamous, Trogons, Manakins and Motmots are main target species at this park. Carara can be birded as a half day as well as a full day, also including some nearby hot spots to add more species to the list.
Start time (Departure from Manuel Antonio): 4:45am-5:00am depending on the sunrise.
Ending time 11:00am or 4:00pm if a full day is requested.
What to bring: Water, insect repellent, snacks, camera. Wear long pants, cap/hat and long sleeves preferably.
Each birder MUST have their own binoculars.
Additional sites that can be covered if wished:
Villa Lapas road, Tarcoles river mouth/mangroves (on foot) Cerro lodge road and more.
- Is this tour good for children? No, this is not an activity I recommend or offer to families with small children.
- How can we pay? Cash please, USA dollars or CR colones or combination.
- How do I reserve? Please send me an inquiry (see form below) provide the required information and your questions. No deposit required, you can pay after the tour is complete.
- How big are your groups? Birding tours are completely private, this is a very specialized service, mixing different birding skills in a group is not recommended.
- We have no previous birding experience, is this a tour for us? Birding tours require minimum birding skills, each member MUST have their own binoculars. However, if you have binoculars and are willing to start early for a great experience I will be happy to cater a tour for beginners.